101 Things to Do in Maryland with the Kids
101 Things to Do in Maryland with the Kids
March 25th is Maryland Day. Let’s plan some spring family fun! To celebrate we thought we would assemble our favorite things to do in Maryland As a kid’s attraction located in Maryland we thought we would focus on activities in Maryland that are fun for the whole family. So break out your red and gold and find out what makes our state a great place to explore with the kids!
Things to Do in Maryland – Kid’s Attractions and Family Fun
- Sail away in search of sunken treasure at Pirate Adventures on the Chesapeake. Yes, we may be biased but we think this experience in the Annapolis Harbor is one of those things that makes Maryland a unique place to visit
- Go beyond the playground monkey bars and try out the climbing walls at Earth Treks with locations in Columbia, Rockville, and Timonium.
- Swing from the trees with zip lines and swinging bridges at The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring Friends School.
- Spend a day on the roller coasters at Six Flags America.
- Ride the rails with the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. Visit during the holidays and jump on the North Pole Experience.
- Bounce off the walls at Sky Zone Trampoline Park.
- Shop for backyard playground and sample the merchandise with open play at Play N Learn.
- Play an elevated game of hide and seek at Shadowland Laser Adventures.
- Introduce the kids to baseball at the classic ballpark Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
- Hold on tight around the hairpin turns at the Crofton Go-Cart Raceway.
- Spend a classic summer day by the sea and take in the fireworks on the boardwalk in Ocean City.
- Visit Adventure Park USA for a family-friendly western theme park. Play some mini golf and ride the bumper boats.
- Visit us at Pirate Adventures and then spend the day in Annapolis with this post What to do with Kids in Annapolis, MD
- Ride the Ferris Wheel for amazing views of Washington DC and hit the Carousel at National Harbor.
- Indulge in chocolate with a factory tour at the SpagnVola Chocolatier
- Hang out with the knights and horses and eat a turkey leg at Medieval Times.
- Enjoy a family-friendly experience and climb to new heights at ClimbZone.
- Try your hand at the glow in the dark mini golf at Monster Mini Golf of Gaithersburg.
- Celebrate America’s Pastime at a minor league baseball game with the Bowie Baysox. Check out Louie’s Kids Club for Special Events.
- Spend a rainy day in an indoor play area with this list from Family Days Out.
- Participate in art classes and creative family programs at the Creative Alliance
- Paint your own pottery with this list of locations from Google.
- Dive into literature with your kids at Storyville at the Baltimore County Public Library.
- Watch the planes from BWI fly overhead at the Thomas A. Dixon Observation Area.
Things to Do in Maryland – The Great Outdoors
- Hike the Billygoat Trail. Scramble up the rocks along the Great Falls of the Potomac and tire your kids out.
- Play in the Fairy Lolly at the AnnMarie Sculpture Garden and Arts Center. Find out more about this special place with our post 5 Family Daytrips in Maryland that Celebrate Imagination.
- Hunt for pre-historic shark fossils at Calvert Cliffs State Park.
- Canoe, Kayak or Paddleboard through the paddling trails at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.
- Check out the unicorn, swans, seahorse and more at Ladew Topiary Gardens. Visit the garden during the week for special kid’s storytimes.
- Spend the day on the boardwalk in the town of North Beach. Hit the old-fashioned candy store or ice cream shop and visit the Pirate Playground.
- Take a water taxi ride in Annapolis or Baltimore.
- Hike to a waterfall and walk over the swinging bridge at Patapsco Valley State Park.
- Visit the Wings of Fancy Exhibit and the Nature Center at Brookside Gardens.
- Go fly a kite at the Maryland International Kite Expo in Ocean City.
- Cross the Bay Bridge and take a family bike ride on the Cross Island Trail on Kent Island.
- Dip your toes in the bay and take in the views of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge or try your hand at fishing at Sandy Point State Park.
- Try your hand at paddleboarding and work on your balance with a rental at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak.
- Visit the best playgrounds in Maryland.
- Ride your bikes along the towpath or take a horse-drawn boat ride at the C and O Canal National Historic Park.
- Take a family sailing lesson on the Chesapeake Bay at Annapolis Sailing School.
- Head to Deep Creek Lake with this post from Baltimore Magazine Maryland’s Other Beach.
- Go Tree House Camping at the Tree House Camp at Maple Tree Campground.
- Visit the lake and hike to the largest waterfall in the state of Maryland at Cunningham Falls State Park.
- Hit the slopes or ride the snow tubes at Wisp Ski Resort.
- Stumble up the wild ponies on Assateague Island National Seashore.
- Hike part of the Appalachian Trail at Annapolis Rocks.
- Cast a line on the Chesapeake Bay at Family Fishing Adventures in Annapolis.
Things to do in Maryland – Museums and Zoos
- Visit the National Aquarium in Baltimore. See the new Blacktip Reef exhibit and learn about different aquatic habitats in Maryland at the Maryland Experience.
- Celebrate learning through play at Port Discovery Children’s Museum. Explore unique landmarks and landscapes of Maryland with the Tot Trails Exhibit.
- Explore science with the dinosaurs and hands-on exhibits at the Maryland Science Center. Take in an IMAX feature while your there.
- Indulge your Thomas the Train fan with a visit to the B and O Railroad Museum. Don’t miss the train carousel and the train rides.
- Go on a spy mission at the National Cryptologic Museum. FREE admission is always nice and they have a scavenger hunt for the kids.
- Inspire an interest in space at the Goddard Space Flight Center. Make your own rocket and bring it to one of their Model Rocket Launches the first Sunday of each month.
- Visit St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
- Introduce the kids to all kinds of art at the American Visionary Art Museum.
- Take in the park-like setting at the Salisbury Zoo. The best part about it? Admission is FREE.
- Feed the llamas and get up close with the animals at the Plumpton Park Zoo.
- Get hands-on experience with alligators, snakes and even a hedgehog at Eco Adventures. Take a Mommy and Me class or stop by for Open Play.
- Go underground at Crystal Grottoes Caverns and learn to tell the difference between a stalagmite and stalactite.
- Learn how oysters are canned and find other industries important to Maryland at the Baltimore Museum of Industry.
- Ring the bell on a fire engine and feel how heavy a fire hose is at the Fire Museum of Maryland.
- Roam the grounds and check out Breakfast with the Animals at the Maryland Zoo.
- Get up close with the animals at the Global Wildlife Safari Ride at the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo.
- Take part in the Peter Pan Club with aviation stories and activities twice a month at the College Park Aviation Museum.
- Celebrate the unusual at Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum.
- Wander among the knights’ armor and visit during the weekends for drop-in art classes at the Walter’s Art Museum.
Things to do in Maryland – Discover History
- Find out what inspired Francis Scott Key to write our National Anthem at Fort McHenry National Monument. Watch the Fort McHenry Guard perform musket and artillery demonstrations.
- Take part in a Battlefield Scavenger Hunt at Antietam National Battlefield.
- Visit the outdoor living history museum that is Historic St. Mary’s City.
- Get your hands dirty and take part in a public dig day at Historic London Towne and Gardens.
- Introduce classic Americana with a drive-in movie at Bengie’s Drive-in Theatre.
- Board the USS Constellation for the Powder Monkey Tour and find out how young recruits of the Navy lived aboard the ship.
- Spend a day wandering around a real fort at Fort Washington Park on the banks of the Potomac River.
- One ticket gets you onto multiple ships docked at the piers in the Inner Harbor at Historic Ships in Baltimore.
- Walk in the paths of dinosaurs at Dinosaur Park. Assemble 3D puzzles of dinosaurs and create dinosaur craft projects in the activity room at Montpelier mansion.
Things to Do in Maryland – Swimming Holes and Water Parks
- Ride the lazy river at Chesapeake Beach Water Park.
- Spend a rainy day at the pool at The Rollingcrest-Chillum Splash Pool. This pool includes a pre-school play area, spray features, and water slides.
- Reserve a pavilion and rack up summer family time at Cascade Lake. Cascade Lake is a private lake with water slides, pedal boats and a splash park.
- Jump across the lily pads and get soaked at the Glenn Dale Splash Park.
- Play among the palm trees and ride the double water slide at the Water Park at Bohrer Park.
- Find your way through the maze of fountains and walk through the waterfall cave at the South Germantown Splash Park.
Things to Do in Maryland – Fairs, Festivals and Special Events
- Break out your fairy costumes and shield of armor for the Maryland Renaissance Festival.
- Celebrate Books and visit with local authors at the Annapolis Book Festival on the grounds of the Key School.
- Spark your child’s imagination at the Fairy and Gnome Home Festival at the AnnMarie Sculpture Gardens.
- Watch the crab races and sample Maryland’s favorite food at the Crisfield National Hard Crab Derby.
- Visit Little Leprechaun Land and watch the Irish Step Dancing at the Maryland Irish Festival.
- Sample Maryland Food and visit with the livestock at the Maryland State Fair.
Things to Do in Maryland – Life on the Farm
- Ride the miniature train or the carousel and visit the petting zoo at Watkins Regional Park.
- Visit a working farm and take a tour at Sharp’s at Waterford Farm.
- Pick your own at Larriland Farm. This farm has a seasonal picking schedule including, strawberries, blackberries. peaches, apples and more.
- Take a visit to the farm and learn how to make ice cream at Kilby Cream.
- Visit the petting farm and the Enchanted Forest at Clark’s Eliok Farm.
- Get to know the horses and take an introductory lesson at the Columbia Horse Farm.
- Try new fruits and vegetables and get inspired to grow your own at a Farmers Market with this list from the Washington Post.
- Follow the Ice Cream Trail and try out as many flavors as possible.
- Check out the ever-changing calendar of kids activities at Oxon Hill Farm. Meet the Dairy Cow, feed the chickens or take a wagon ride.
- Pick your own, slide down the hill slides and take a tractor ride at Butler’s Orchard.
- Walk the nature trails and learn about history on the Farm at the National Colonial Farm.
Things to Do in Maryland – Children’s Theater
- Introduce kids to the Theater at Imagination Stage. They have lots going on for your young thespians including shows, classes, and camps.
- Take in a show at the Puppet Company or the Adventure Theater plan a picnic at the new playground at Glen Echo Park.
- Watch a play in the fairytale setting of the Children’s Theatre in the Woods at Wolf Trap Pavilion.
What are your favorite Things to do in Maryland with the Kids?
Help us add to our list and celebrate all that Maryland has to offer for local families. Leave a comment in the box below. Happy Maryland Day and we hope to see you on the water at Pirate Adventures this season!