Staycation! Things to Do Over Winter Break in Maryland and Washington DC
Plan fun things to do over winter break in Maryland and Washington DC!
Winter break is days away. In the rush of holiday events and last minute shopping have you thought about what you will do with the looming school vacation next week? Let Pirate Adventures help you plan fun things to do over winter break. We are closed for the winter at Pirate Adventures so a treasure hunt aboard the Sea Gypsy is not in the cards but we are working hard on exciting new things for next season. Lucky for you our backyard of Maryland and Washington DC is filled with amazing attractions for families. From the proven hits to off the beaten path we have assembled a list that will be sure to keep your family free from the winter blues.
Children’s Theatre in Maryland and Washington DC
Save the movies for any old weekend. Use winter break as an opportunity to take in a show. There are so many good options on tap in the Maryland and Washington DC area for the kids playing right now.
- Singin’ In the Rain runs through January 5th at the Olney Theatre Center.
- The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is playing at Imagination Stage in Bethesda through January 5th.
- Elf, The Musical is on stage at Toby’s Dinner Theater in Columbia through January 15th.
- Glen Echo Park is home to two venues for kids. Catch The Velveteen Rabbit through January 1st at Adventure Theatre or see The Nutcracker at The Puppet Company.
Take a spin on the ice at one of the many awesome ice skating venues in our area. There are a plenty of indoor and outdoor options to hit the ice in Maryland and Washington DC over winter break.
- Our hometown choice is Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis. This outdoor rink takes advantage of it’s park setting on the Chesapeake. Find times and prices here.
- For indoor ice skating in Annapolis try the USNA ice rink at the Brigade Sports Complex.
- Soak up the atmosphere at the outdoor ice rink in the Sculpture Garden at the National Gallery of Art. Find skating times and prices here.
- For plenty of space check out the largest ice rink around at the Washington Harbour Ice Rink in Georgetown.
- For a professional indoor experience check out the Columbia Association Ice Rink.
Indoor Pools/Water Parks
It may be cold outside but you can still take the kids for a swim at one of the many indoor pools in Maryland and Washington DC. If you ask the kids to help pick fun things to do over winter break you can bet swimming will rides to the top of the list. There are plenty of places to choose from and many of the pools offer indoor water parks as well.
- North Arundel Aquatic Center is a great choice with a zero depth entry for the little ones and water features the kids will love including water buckets, slides and splash pods. Find operating times and prices here.
- Germantown Indoor Swim Center offers water slides and kiddie slides as well as a great kiddie pool to let the kids splash and swim. Find the revised schedule for winter break here.
- Deanwood Aquatic Center in Washington DC has a brand new facility with HUGE water slide the kids will love.
- RollingCrest Chillum Splash Pool in Chillum will be hit for the preschool set with a water play area with slides spray features designed for little ones.
Most holiday happenings and special events continue after the holidays through the end of the year. With the rush of the holiday season behind you check out these unique things to do over winter break with the kids that you might have planned on getting to before the holidays but just couldn’t squeeze in.
- The Military Bowl in our hometown is Annapolis at it’s best. Bring the kids on December 27th for bowl game fun. Check out the Military Bowl Parade that features the Budweiser Clydesdales and then head to the stadium for the free Military Bowl Tailgate.
- Zoo Lights at the Smithsonian National Zoo runs through January 1st. More than just a holiday lights display Zoo Lights also offers activities like Snow-less snow tubing and a train ride through the lights. Admission to the zoo is free and tickets for the rides can be purchased on site. Find more information on ride tickets here.
- One of our favorite family places in Washington DC is the US Botanic Garden. They are currently running a seasonal train display through January 2nd. The train display is always amazing and this years theme centers around National Parks and Historic places.
- Port Discovery holds special events just for winter break. Find activities like story times, live music, interactive plays and wildlife visits. Get the schedule of events here.
- New on the holiday scene this year Enchant Christmas Light Maze is getting rave reviews. Located at Nationals Park kids can take part in a scavenger hunt to find Santa’s reindeer and ice skate through a lighted path. Snag a deal on Goldstar for discounted tickets. Enchant runs through December 29th.
Chances are it will be warm enough to get outside at least one day in Maryland and Washington DC over winter break. On New Years Day state parks in all 50 states offer free guided First Day Hike programs. Find a list of first day hikes in Maryland here. Get your blood flowing and burn some energy this winter break outside. Find ideas for outdoor things to do over winter break in our area with the posts below.
- Five Great Hikes for Kids under 5 – Red Tricycle
- The Best Places in the DC Area to Enjoy a Beautiful Day Outdoors with the Kids – Kid Friendly DC
- Discover the Best Playgrounds in Maryland and Washington DC – Pirate Adventures
- 10 Best Trails in Maryland for Winter Hiking – Only in Your State
- 10 Sunny Day Activities for Kids in the DC Area – Pirate Adventures
That should get you started on your mission to find fun things to do over winter break in Maryland and Washington DC. Have your own ideas? Leave a comment below and we’ll add them to our list! We’ll see you in the spring of 2019 when Pirate Adventures will be open for the season and the Sea Gypsy will be trolling the Annapolis Harbor in search of sunken treasure!